27 January 2008

last night...

Last night Angela's young son came for his English lesson. He saw the portrait on the mantelpiece and ran to it, saying "Mamma" with great delight. I beamed. He wanted to take it home. Really wanted to take it home. But the paint still isn't dry... it took two little fingerprints on the painting and a sheepish "I believe you now" grin on the child to establish that the portrait couldn't go home...



And now it is back to acrylics, much as I prefer oils for portraits. Papà is dry already. Not finished, but dry. By next Saturday it wouldn't surprise me if Papà could go home but Mamma might still be drying. Mamma is beautiful, Papà looks strong. That's how it should be, isn't it?



And my young friend, the one with paint on his fingertips, I may have to paint again. I am reluctant to change his glasses, as the portrait was of him as he was some time ago. But now, nearly a year older and with new glasses, he is more beautiful... and irresistible when he peers over those glasses to beg to have the portrait updated... I suspect a fast acrylic portrait of a lovable rascal could be coming soon.

Then, once the commissions are finished, I think I'll paint my own lovable rogues. All four of them. That way I will know exactly where they are!

But now, to light the fire. It is chilly again, and then they promise us Spring really will be here. The weather forecasts here seem to be quite reliable. The shy flowers waiting to burst through the muted green veils can dance with their cheeky companions who popped out to play a couple of weeks ago.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Here. Reading. Love you.

Kay said...

:-))))

If you're reading you're not painting... but then neither am I at the moment!

Do you use resist on your watercolour portraits? They are so strong, love your colour confidence.

Today's portrait went really fast, so hard to stop. I washed up and put the brushes away three times...

Anonymous said...

There should be a health warning on Bounty bars seeing that they are so addictive but, better than sniffing turps!