17 January 2008

learning to be irresponsible

I did it! Today I said "No thankyou" when offered another English class in a private school. I let my arm be twisted last year, and have quietly berated myself every week since then. Only five more lessons to go!

Now maybe I can learn more Italian, paint more passionately, live life more fully. Let's take out the "maybe". I *will* do all of those things!

Zacchi is happy about all of that. He hates me going away. On Thursday evenings he flattens himself against the step and looks up at me with reproachful eyes. The food rewards evidently don't make up for being alone. I tend to agree with him on that one. However...

Parmalat make a wonderful cherry yoghurt, whole rich black cherries in it. And if you add to that some of Ambrosio's Amarene Kirschen (cherries in liquor), and stir a little, you have the most decadent cherry yoghurt you could ever wish for, and you can eat every last delicious drop yourself! Quite makes up for having to cook your own dinner, and do the dishes, it does!

That still leaves a few private English students, I guess that is OK. They pay for the yoghurt and cherries.

Oh, by the way, I turned down the job the very same week I passed my TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate. Makes you wonder a bit, doesn't it?

Now back to the cherries...

No comments: