30 January 2008

slow progress today

Today is market day in my village but I didn't need to buy anything so I didn't go...



I am making some progress with the portrait

...but the brush in my hand and the hands on the clock are moving far too slowly

Hopefully things will get better as the day goes on.

Zacchi has been in and out of the door at least a dozen times. Neither of us is settled today. Zacchi's excuse is a cute little girl doggy wanting to come in to play. I don't have an excuse. Sometimes I get things wrong, take offense too easily. The Italians have a word for people like that. Permaloso. I have to make sure it never fits me.

Zacchi thinks we both need a long, long, walk.

Post script: I am staying with portraits a while. They were not part of the plan for the year. My goal is to paint portraits that are better than a photograph. I don't believe in painting things that can be photographed wonderfully. But sometimes a portrait, even if it misses an exact likeness, can capture the personality in a way no single photograph can. That is my challenge.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

The portrait is looking great, mum.
And walking is fabulous.
Get out into nature!