24 February 2008

transitions are difficult

I am working on a painting, the Maestra (teacher), an elderly Italian lady with wartime New Zealand connections, the indomitable matriarch of the family that has adopted me, who died last year at the grand age of 100 years and 4 months. I have a good likeness. I have taken a few liberties with the ravages of time... I have not been particularly kind to her on this occasion, but I am fascinated by the weathering of the body over such a long and difficult life.

The painting was progressing well, although the background colour is bothering me. I have it right in one corner, and I have it right in the diagonally opposite corner. But the transition is difficult.

A friend once said to me "conclusions are difficult". And that is so right. Particularly when other people are involved. Transitions can be even more difficult, swimming in uncharted waters, to unknown destinations. Perhaps that is why the phrase I chose for the title of my blog appeals to me so much.

"Travellers, there is no path, paths are made by walking". (Antonio Machado)

And from Sarah, when I was having a "lost" day some time ago: "Lost is a great place to be! It's like you're out at sea and instead of working on your ship back at shore, you have the whole ocean to splash around in!"

I would like to say something clever of my own, to tie the walking and watery images together, but instead I will paint, and maybe later the words will find me all by themselves.

Right now, I think, it is enough to just acknowledge that yes, transitions, and conclusions, are difficult. Yet as I write this, a smile gently grows and develops - spreading almost to a twinkle in the eye - as I think "but how exciting new beginnings are..."

No comments: