22 March 2008

it's not often

...that I buy a whole loaf of bread, so I thought I would share this one with you...

Bread is purchased by weight, and you can ask to have it cut to whatever size you require. I always ask for meno cotto (less cooked) because I have a fear of having to pay for dentistry here, although I do enjoy those crusts...

To cut the bread it is quite normal to cradle it in your arms and simply "hack" pieces off, people choosing which piece of crust they want, but I prefer to use a bread board and have reasonably manageable slices. (Don't be so boring, Kay, live dangerously...)

You get some idea of the size of the loaf if you look at the wine bottle behind the biscuit barrel, and consider that the bread is covering a large area of the bench.

And yes, you know when you have been living in Italy a while when you have more types of pasta than jars to put it in...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Bread and cheese!
Mmmmm!
*dies and goes to heaven*

And oh!
Look!
Look at your funky pasta canisters!

Anonymous said...

There is only a couple of things more special than crispy bread.
Happy Easter lovely lady.
Caterpiller