7 March 2008

Thomas Aquinas

Happy saint's day, St Tommaso...

I think, like all of us, you were a mixed blessing. I agree with much of what you wrote, you will be happy to know, but I am not so sure that it should have been "set in concrete" by the Catholic church for so many years. But the grumbles about this are only hearsay, maybe I got that wrong. So I am happy to exhibit in the house where you were born, and at the moment in the building right next to that house. And you certainly were an intellect and a character... a very strong character with a very interesting life!

I like the things that you said about God and nature. People are saying pretty much the same thing now, finding it anew. But the language used to say this is so much more simple now. Were you a philosopher or a theologian, really? You bought reason into faith. You were a hugely prolific writer, and I can't pretend to have come anywhere near understanding a fraction of the things you wrote.

I know you really grew up in Aquino, but you were born here and we claim you too. I was here when the new statue was commissioned and later installed and blessed, 28 May 2005. That was a hot morning, I nearly fainted. I had to sit under a tree by the cemetery. The whole town got a re-vamp for that, new footpaths, all shining white. It still looks good. Zacchi knows that once we get past your statue the gorge is not too far away, and if it is a Sunday a kindly man will be nearby, dishing out pasta to stray dogs and not so stray dogs passing by.

There was huge debate about that statue, 9 metres high, marble, and modern. But they chose the right one. I have a book with all the marquettes photographed and described. That was the only one possible, really. The others didn't come close. Aquino has the museum, but we have your formidable presence. The debate has died down, people leave their red candles at your feet. I've become quite fond of you really, in the early morning light, in the evening glow, against a glorious sky, playing with the cloud, or in the rain at night.

I think you should know they are persisting in their attempts to restore your old castle and it's surrounding wall at the moment. I think they are going to take it too far. Stop, I say, conserve, don't rebuild. Tell them, will you? Enough is enough.



And just between you and me, I think there is some significance in the fact that the special "women's day" comes the very next day after your saint's day...

No comments: