11 April 2008

election weekend...

... has come around very fast.

I expected a lot of fire, passion, loud argument, animated debate.

So far it has all seemed far too civilised.

Until recently there seemed to be more about the American elections than the Italian ones on TV.

I am the first to admit that I don't understand a lot of what I hear, but the body language seems far more polite and restrained than in New Zealand elections. La bella figura, perhaps?

I have become used to the television prattling along with me understanding very little, but when the political rallies have the Colosseum in the background you remember that you are living in a very different place.

Rome wasn't built in a day. The young country that is Italy wont be either.

Wish us well tomorrow, I have a sneaking suspicion that things are so bad economically that even the opposition doesn't really want a chance to govern...

PS a quick Google search shows me that you can learn about la bella figura in an Australian university... far be it from me to comment!

No comments: