21 April 2008

feeling better today...

Everyday you should challenge yourself (I don't like the word "should" but I agree life is better with a little daring in it) so today my challenge to myself is to publish the agonies of finding the painting when you are working from some else's photograph. I think it will be good when I get there. There is still a long way to go (it is 100x70cm).

It would be much neater and nicer and more accurate to draw up a proper grid, neatly sketch everything in, and paint my way through it.

I would be bored out of my tiny brain.

I choose to think the painting is already there, I just have to find it.

Here goes... for all the world to see... possibly a lesson on how not to do it, but there is always that wonderful song (maybe I will finish the painting before I sing it) "I did it my way..."


... at the "one third of the way" mark I guess, I work my way across and down, this time going backwards for me, not quite sure why I did that, and then I come back and balance, adjust, glaze, etc etc... will post progress again in a few days.

3 comments:

Kay said...

PS going backwards only in that I am likely to lean on the wet paint as I concentrate on the next part. If I work from left to right there is less paint on my sweatshirt...

smudges are good, aren't they?

Sarah said...

Right now there is drama in your work.
I like it.

Anonymous said...

That word should...

There are plenty of times when it's right to use it, I think you just have to discern who is using it on you and why.

You should eat, breathe, enjoy the view. You should not let discouragement overtake you.

Just make sure that whoever is using the word (including yourself) has your best interests at heart, and you'll be right.

I suggest you use language exactly as you need to - don't look over your shoulder at words so much, but at the intentions underlying them.

Great picture btw!