28 April 2008

going public too soon...

I don't really like sharing the messy stages of my paintings... but, just for Peggy, here it is. Still plenty to do. I have put away the photograph and now am interpreting the painting. Lots of adjusting and balancing of colours still to happen, and of course the foreground rocks still to strengthen. When the oil dries I will glaze and bring some into shadow, put some further back... it is how I like to work, with many scumbled and transparent layers. I have used the scumbling technique under the glazes because I think it suits the ancient buildings.

Moving from acrylics into oil has had it's fun side and its "downside"... I enjoy being back in oils after the acrylic underpainting, but I forgot that they don't dry and I am now covered in paint... ah well, at least I feel good!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh! And nothing beats the smell of turps.
How wonderful!