17 April 2008

grrr... and :-)

As of the day after tomorrow I am back on the bus or the bike. My efforts to get a temporary licence came to nothing. That in itself is fine. The problem is that getting an Italian licence when your documents are not sorted is impossible, and international licences only last a year.

So tomorrow I take pictures to be framed, buy in bulk anything heavy, and go back to being good for the environment.

I will get fitter too!

There's always an up side...

*****

Today I went to the oculista (optician, optometrist...?) and next week I go back for new glasses. The oculista shares a waiting room with a doctor. I had an appointment so could arrive just a few minutes before. Patients for doctors must take a place in a queue. Apparently the queue began at around 2pm today. The doctor arrives at 3pm. There were at least 12 people waiting. I enjoy people watching in places like that. People are endlessly fascinating. It was a different part of town and I was new to them. I guess they were people watching too...

*****

I have a guest here at present, a distant rellie I hadn't met before. I emailed a friend only two days ago saying that my brain needed a workout in English as my vocab in Italian is too limited for real discussion. I shouldn't be surprised... suddenly there is someone to discuss abstract ideas with. There is no apparent connection between the email I sent and the arrival of my guest other than the power of thought. It happens like that here...

3 comments:

Judith said...

Hi Kay! just wanted to say hi and wow! to the pics of the flowers in tu strada.

Judith (en londra)

Sarah said...

Where?!
Where are your finished portraits?!

Anonymous said...

The weird thing is, I think I can drive for you when I get there...!

Silly, huh? You're the one with a year's experience on Italian roads!