18 April 2008

if only we had asked more questions then

Today was a strange mix of extended family and more links with Italy and WWII. Staying with me is the grandson of one of my childhood heroes, my mother's cousin. Neither of us knew if Hector was in the Italian campaign. We googled him and found that he "took an important part in the negotiations at the time of the Italian Armistice, organising the handing-over of the Italian Air Force".

I remember hearing about his heroic flights and wartime deeds. He loved young children and I was always excited about his visits when he came back to Wairoa, where he was born. But if I am honest I must admit (shhh) part of his appeal when I was 10 or 11 was his very handsome and charming ADC who was very patient with adoring Kiwi fans. They say there's something about a man in uniform...

I probably didn't even know he had been to Italy back then either, it all sounded so far away.

Strange how all these things tie together...

No comments: