15 April 2008

post election


We have a new government. Berlusconi is back in. Most of my friends are vaguely pleased. It's not that they are fans of his, but simply that the alternative was so much worse for this part of Italy. Berlusconi has promised to abolish the bolla, much to my relief, because I can't find a receipt to say I have paid it!

The kids have had a long weekend. Where schools were used as polling places they have had a four or five day break for two days of voting. They normally go to school on Saturday here. That was cancelled to prepare for the election. Sunday and Monday Italy voted. Today schools were still closed. When I asked a friend why also today (voting closed in the morning) she said "to disinfect the schools after the election". I liked that image, somehow!

The bonus for me was I took my young friend off grandma's hands for the day and we took Zacchi up onto the mountain behind my village as far as the church in the cave (where we used the timer to get this photo) then he took one of me in front of the church (I had to pose, that's what he does) but Zacchi decided to be camera-shy.
The view as always was wonderful.
After lunch we went down into the (rather grandly named) woods where there are many flowers, cyclamen, iris, too many to count. Absolutely beautiful. We picked our way between the beautiful and the dangerous, and even picked some asparagus for my tea tonight.

Zacchi is tired from his grand adventure. He now runs free in the woods and goes exploring without me. I just have to trust that he will always come back. There are no guarantees...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You're looking so great, mum!