28 May 2008

not really neglecting my work

I said yesterday that I was ignoring my "real work" while I played with Sabina. I'm not really being that irresponsible. I have finally worked out, after taking a break from it, what I want to change in the painting of Manarola, Cinque Terre. When I get too close to a painting I don't "see" it well, and needed a long break from this one. It took a little research and some more photos to see what I had to do, as the photo I was working on had flattened out a hillside and created a few problems with no real light source. (If only I had done the research before I started painting. I never learn!)

Now I have to decide... the photos I have found have got lots of little boats in them... sailing, anyone?

"Sabina" is the name I have given to my mop brush. One wicked friend checked up on my new love then tried to tempt me with a website having a sale of mops. No Jan, I wont be greedy... well, not today, anyway!

I don't know where the name Sabina came to me from, I haven't heard it recently. When I researched it (as you do, when it comes to you from nowhere) I found many Roman references. That reminded me of a most unexpected and strong reaction I had during my first trip to Florence, when I encountered for the first time the statue of The Rape of the Sabine Women by Giambologna.

The story of the reconciliation is an interesting one... the nurturing love of women really does conquer all.

No comments: