10 May 2008

ooops!

I really had the best of intentions. I was going to be up early and write yesterday's blog...

Yesterday I went to a high school in Frosinone to represent the collective memories of international soldiers in the Italian campaign of World War II. I spoke briefly and simply. Fortunately I had someone to translate their questions and my answers. I was happy to make mistakes in my Italian in front of the students because they are all trying to learn English so were sympathetic.

I was with a history lecturer friend from Florence University. The 100 or so students (there seemed to be 5 classes... what nice class sizes!) were in their last year of high school. They were watching a documentary about the wartime experiences of the civilians of Roccasecca and the surrounding districts. This documentary was made by the Florence friend and her documentary-maker son, in consultation with the history teacher who had invited me to the school.

If I achieved anything at all it was to link New Zealand veterans of 1943-44 with teenage Italians. I was thrilled that their questions focused on feelings, rather than facts. If there is empathy and understanding, compassion and consideration rather than attention to heroic deeds, then there is hope for a culture of peace.

I often shake my head and marvel and the strange and varied thing that is my life.

After that it was home for some time with the family, then dinner with a Canadian group in Cassino. Today I could be touring the Hitler Line with the Canadians, learning more for my guiding, but time with my girls and their friends has priority. (Big happy smile).

No comments: