14 May 2008

out of routine, out of line

I think I am slowing down! I can't burn the candle at both ends any more. It is time to nest the melted wax into the rock and sit and flicker for a bit... give the flame time to strengthen and grow.

It has been a fun week, and time has flown. This morning at Ciampino airport we were evacuated from check-in and sent outside. There was no panic, and the relaxed police shepherded us out further and further away from the building. We chatted happily, wondering what it was all about, when a loud boom made most of us jump and the windows of the airport building moved considerably with the blast. It seemed to be a controlled explosion, something to do with Ryan Air.

The most significant thing to note was how slowly people moved through the doors when, for all we knew, our lives could have been at risk, and how quickly the waiting passengers rushed the building when check-in was re-opened after the all-clear! Mmmm... my life, or a good seat on the plane? I think I'll walk slowly and enjoy the sun a little longer...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ha! That's a very interesting observation! I would have been the reverse of them all, I think. I have much to life for and I can deal with a crappy seat. ;)