21 May 2008

raining

It doesn't rain for four days in a row in May in this part of Italy...
does it?

We have had thunderstorms, squally showers, misty rain, steady rain... very wetting rain!

Today as I drove home from a memorial unveiling near Cassino I marvelled at the number of people out and about in the heavy rain. It was mid afternoon, the end of siesta time, and people were out strolling, walking, chatting. On the steep slope up to my village two men chatted happily under umbrellas in the middle of the road, moving a little to let me go by. Down near the shops a woman cycled with her groceries in the cycle basket, a huge umbrella held above her. I had the feeling that it was nothing new.

How spoilt we have become, in our normal lives. It wouldn't have occurred to me to cycle with an umbrella. I have a bright red jacket, but my groceries in the basket would get very very wet (yes I have a basket on the front of my bike too). I need to think a little more about how many luxuries I take for granted. I have tried to lead a more simple life here, and a year ago I was bemoaning the fact that I had bought a car, was opting out of public transport. The car brings a full life, changes our perceptions of what is normal.

I like my mobility and independence, but I miss my waiting for the bus time, my walking time, my "how am I going to do that?" time, my slower pace of life time.

Yes, Zacchi, we will go walking in the rain.

Can you train a scruffy munchkin to hold an umbrella with his tail?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Harness.
Picnic table unbrella attached.
That little sucker won't have a choice.