18 June 2008

the funny little things...

It's odd what things give me pleasure.

While "camping" across the road I did a lot of washing for the owner who is seldom there long enough to get all the linen up to date. The last time she was here it rained and rained. I enjoyed being a secret helper. Call me peculiar if you like, but I have always liked washing flapping out in the sunshine.

The balcony with the clothesline is high above the road.

The first day I cautiously pegged the towels to the wire closest to the railing. I didn't dare to look down, although I love being "up".

Each day I was a little braver.

This morning I cheerfully leaned out to peg a heavy towel on the far wire, the balcony rail cutting into me as I stretched out over the road. I thought how far I had come! Almost a real Italian mamma.

But not quite.

I remember walking through the next village once when a wet white missile landed on the road near me. I looked at it, then looked up. The rather embarassed owner of the underwear called her apologies. I tried once to throw them up to her, then folded them neatly against the building and moved on.

No matter how hard I think about it, there is absolutely no way I will be hanging my underwear up there for all the world to see.

.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Okay. I'll hang it for you.

Kay said...

brat! I'll have to buy some pretty pink stuff first...

I wonder what recycled ladies wear these days? mmmm.... must do some research!