25 June 2008

thoughts on a borrowed quote

Art is our one true global language. It knows no nation. It favors no race. It acknowledges no class. It speaks to our need to heal, reveal and transform. It transcends our ordinary lives and lets us imagine what is possible. It creates a dialogue between individuals, and communication between communities. It allows us to see and to listen to each other.
............................................... Richard Kamler


This reminds me that a smile means the same in any language. In fact, I think the smile, the eyes, the face... body language is the one true language.

When we look at art we have the art object, the viewer, and the "gap between" in which interpretation takes place. Each brings his own frame of reference to an artwork, therefore while all can "read" art each will have a different reading.

If I had to choose, between my ability to make art or my ability to smile,

... I would choose to smile.

:-)

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-)

Sophia Elise said...

I second that Kay - and I would also put smile in the same category as hug - hugs can have different meanings and convey so much - irrespective of culture, age differences etc. :-)