21 July 2008

moral of the story

Remember the piece of paper with

Always plan ahea
d

written on it?

Well the reality is that since I have accidentally ended up a portrait artist I really want to do it well. I love the portraits other people do, with the mauves and greens and all those yummy colours. I study other artists. I think "this time, I will manage. My colours will be exciting too". Sadly, however, for whatever reason, I just can't put them in my work and leave them there.

I know the theory: opposites on the colour wheel (yellow with purple, green with red etc) and warm object with cool shadow, cool object with warm shadow. The trouble is, I am too impatient to even plan ahead. Working to a deadline I am impatient to get even the measurements and structures done. Being thorough about my colour planning ... well... I have always adhered to the maxim that "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom".

When I TEACH, however, I tell a different story. Plan ahead. Know what you are going to do. Get the basics right. Composition, tonal value, hue. Use a limited palette, decide how you are going to use colour.

I teach my students that of the 100% that is their painting time, they must use it like this:
40% looking at the subject
40% mixing colour
10% applying the paint and pushing it around the canvas.
10% walking between the canvas and your best viewing-thinking place.

Occasionally, when I paint, I just have to break my own rules. Or more than occasionally. Today was one of those days. Impetuousity won. Later, I am sure, the portrait will be stronger for it. For now, however, I am still regretting the loss of the clear colours in her face.

Kris, stop chuckling. Come to my lessons, follow what I teach, not what I do!

1 comment:

Feijoa said...

You know, your percentage theory applies to documentary cutting as well, exactly...