4 July 2008

time out to trust


Today I am pottering, working a little, resting for the big weekend ahead. It starts with a picnic tea at around 8.30pm on Mount Asprano, where the church in the cave behind the village is, the initial mass being in the main church first. I will probably join in but I am tired, so have not decided yet.

I have collected lamps to direct at my paintings. Last night as I meandered home through the piazza (at 11pm) I spotted my local electrician and asked him about help with my lighting. He looked at me as though I was mad and said "but where will you get the current from?" I pointed to the house two floors above my space. This seemed to be the cue for the son of that house to come across and confirm that yes, they were supplying the power, and could the electrician help please because the paintings needed lights, preferably one spot per painting. The electrician said that the church may have some spare, so would he please check it out this morning. I said that I had some lamps and would trial them in my cantina today.

I don't think the lighting is terribly important. All I want from this is for the rest of my little village to see that I do really make art, that I work hard, and that when it might appear that I am antisocial sometimes it is just because I am busy. I also want to contribute, to be a part of what happens here.

If this were my show in New Zealand I would be stressing about what I needed, climbing ladders, hiring lights, worrying about advertising and whether people would come, preparing for an opening, running myself into the ground. Here I have put things in motion. They will happen now, irrespective of my input. I have learnt to trust that.

I suspect, however, that the lighting will be more than adequate. Tomorrow morning we will know.
.

No comments: