19 August 2008

shopping and big is not best

Today was shopping day. Running shoes for me and for Sarah. And the inevitable eating out for lunch... Sarah joined me in pizza today! Brennen ate Asian.

Here everything is too big... the cars, the roads (so much further to cross than in my little village) and the servings of food, the cups, the drinking tumblers... everything is over-sized. Maybe I had forgotten how wide and big everything is, but really I think it is that I am smaller, and used to things on a smaller scale. Even Sarah has got taller... am I shrinking?

Today I painted. Not hugely successfully, not prettily, not beautifully, but with a message. In light of the present preoccupation with war, I think I have painted appropriately. Photos later.
Sarah and Brennen need to move house. This wonderful spooky run-down creative haven is far too expensive to heat in the winter, and to cool in the summer. It shows off Sarah's works wonderfully, and her studios have great views, but eventually even artists must be realistic and keep warm in the winter. Darn it!

This house has a great sloping verandah that reminds me of my childhood home. In fact, a lot of things about it remind me of my home, although that was beautifully maintained and warmed by an oil burning heater and a huge fire place. That particular fire place in Maru Maru holds so many happy memories.

I didn't become the best fire-lighter in the world by chance.

No comments: