2 September 2008

and so back to art...

Two days of enforced rest thanks to a bug kindly shared by my neighbours has given me plenty of contemplative time. Add to this some lengthy conversations with one of my personal trainer/life coach whizzkids (daughter number one) and I have emerged with a much clearer view of where I am heading. My decision to go to London to the preview at Suze in Mayfair was a conscious move to drop myself back into the space I was missing, mixing with art and artists where we speak the same language about art, both literally and metaphorically.

From looking at the work of other artists on the NZ Shore Plover appeal artists page and following a few links to peruse other New Zealand contemporary art I was able to see exactly what I do and don't want to do in my own work. The home page of my own website carries work that I am proud of. Some of it reminds me of works not featured which I have gifted to special people in my life, and it takes me back to a space where I was really enjoying what I was doing.

So, for now, I am going small and precious again, in watercolour combined with my various evolving techniques producing a work that is (most likely) buried in resin.

This tiny work, I think 5" x 7", was a gift to a friend and marked a comic happening one pizza night in May 2004. The snail decided to invite himself to the outdoor party, and share my drink. Watercolour buried in resin, it is one of my favourites. I need to make more works that mark events, carry messages, are special to me. And if they are special to me, then maybe they will be special for someone else as well.

1 comment:

Sophia Elise said...

Hi Kay,

I'm really pleased you are going to London for this opening - I think too often we do get immersed in our studios and art and forget to step out into the real world - talk to other artists again face to face. I recently attended the Lewis Invitation Art Exhibition and Awards (which were organised by NZ artist Lyn Murray who is now based in England - and who you will probably meet at the opening next week) anyway - it reminded me just how good it was to talk and reconnect with like minded people - it really gave me such a lift. I look forward to reading all about the opening on your blog - just wish I was there to enjoy the evening with you both.

:-)

Sophia