15 September 2008

the dog or the blog...

I said to my daughter, as we walked through Pimlico, "It's the dog or the blog". We were talking about my somewhat "excessive" blogging. I had said that because I lived alone it was a kind of conversation with family, friends, and other artists.

But I don't really live alone. I live in a building with the best neighbourhood watch in the world. I phoned to see that my house-guest had arrived safely and got the keys to get in. Not only was I told when he arrived and who greeted him, but also where he dined that night, with whom, and what he ate. With support like this I sleep safely, am cared for, am not alone. Regrettably I have been too busy to even bake a cake for months now. I have been a negligent neighbour.

Blogging has served my needs, but now my greatest need is to improve my Italian and really be a part of this community. I am enrolling in an on-line course that I trialled before I went to London, and will be concentrating on my language lessons, not writing my blog in English.

I was too tired, doing too much, had lost the balance in my life again. My focus was on earning a living, not on being a part of the community. I had lost sight of what life is about, forgotten what is written at the top of my own blog. What is the most important thing in this life? It is people, people, people.

I am going to concentrate on nesting, getting my house in order, exercising, speaking Italian, spending time with my neighbours, and painting... more on the painting in another blog.

Yes, there will be a few more blogs, but not so many. I have a real life to live...

“He aha te mea nui o tenei ao? Maku e kii atu, He tangata, he tangata, he tangata!

You ask what is the most important thing in this world? I will tell you: It is people, it is people, it is people!”

Maori proverb

.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Do both, you silly goose!
Live.
And then write about it.

Smoosh!