24 January 2009

domesticated

Today I bottled ten small jars of mandarines. It feels odd to be preserving fruit in the winter. I normally give most of this fruit away as my wonderful trees provide more than I could ever eat during the season. I have done that, and still the trees offer more. Yesterday before the rain came back again I stripped the most mature tree quickly, the skin breaking as I pulled the mandarines. These had to be distributed quickly, eaten or preserved within 24 hours or so. I gave away a few bags, and looked at what was left. Time to be domesticated again. It's OK, this kitchen stuff! I guess it is part of my on-going nesting process. Cooking, preserving, music and the kettle boiling. Life is pretty good, really.

On Life: today I opened one of those endless forwards that come around. I usually delete these unopened, but this was from a friend who seldom writes, who doesn't clutter my in-box with anti-male or anti-aging jokes. It was beautiful, absolutely beautiful! Thanks, Jackie! The photographs were stunning, the music pleasant, and the sentiments, while not new, are so true. Unfortunately the photographer is not named, a pity because the images are truly beautiful. Thankyou, whoever you are!

No comments: