16 January 2009

a tribute

"With watercolour, you can pick up the atmosphere, the temperature, the sound of snow shifting through the trees or over the ice of a small pond or against a windowpane. Watercolour perfectly expresses the free side of my nature." - Andrew Wyeth

Andrew Wyeth, contemporary realist painter, died today.

In a life-time of being interested in art, of going to exhibitions, of occasional study, very few paintings make a lasting impression.

Many years ago I saw a painting by Wyeth at an exhibition in New Zealand. I have never forgotten that image.

Occasionally I really miss my library of art books still in New Zealand. I wish I could read my copy of the biography of Andrew Wyeth right now.

Wyeth the father, Wyeth the son. Both left an indelible mark. The father apparently said that the son didn't use enough colour.

The limited palette and haunting images of Wyeth the son will never fade away.

No comments: