17 February 2009

blue cheese

No, not gorgonzola, nor blue vein, but possibly breaking point?

I have been painting in my kitchen. The kitchen that used to be a studio after it was a kitchen. In all the house renovations it became a kitchen/living room again, and in the 'mid-progress moving' my large table moved into the future dining room which is still to be enclosed, and a large couch took its place in front of the fire.

I work on a small wooden table tucked behind the couch. That's OK, maybe, for small paintings and tidy artists. Unfortunately neither of those qualifiers apply. Things have become increasingly crowded. Tonight parmigiano got into the cobalt wash, followed rapidly by the cracker biscuits. I struggled to find my sense of humour.

So...

I am about to change it all again. I will set up my painting table and lamps in the room with the best light. And finally, a contemplation shelf for paintings that are "works in progress". That will be much safer than being propped up on the mantelpiece above a roaring fire!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

$10 says you will still eat cheese and crackers over your work, anyway. ;)

Kay said...

No, I wasn't eating over my work... my work just spread over a bit too far into the food storage/preparation area. The wash was in a dish too large for the painting table. I was grating the cheese to go into my vegetable soup, forgetting that the dish next to my bowl was not holding food!

I admit to drinking endless tea - water - wine while I paint, but I hardly ever eat near a painting. Maybe an apple, and that only occasionally! Apples are for painting...

Kay said...

PS the crackers just jumped out of the cupboard and into the paint all by themselves. I wasn't even looking...