18 February 2009

shopping

I have probably said it before, I am not a shopper. Bookshops and art supply shops are the only places I enjoy spending time, now that I am over (yes, I think I am) my antique furniture fetish.

This morning I went to the market, just to join in a sense of community. It is good to belong. The market was empty, few stalls, fewer shoppers.

As I believe that fear and caution actually adds to the economic crisis, I chose to shop. A little here, a little there. I came home with gifts for four people, mats I don't really need but can use quite happily for the entry and my room, vegetables to add to my already well-stocked fridge, pink pyjamas with tiny sprigs of flowers on them, not to my taste, probably to be given away, a traditional ring of bread to give to a friend, and a handbag for me.

I stopped to look at a handbag that might possibly match the MOB outfit, but moved on, saying that I would think about it further as I didn't think the colour was quite what I wanted. The vendor said "You always say that, but you never buy!" He was right, a lot of the bags on his stall are eye-catching but are what once might have been called "cheap and nasty". I don't buy them. He does have some good things too, but out of my "casual shopping" price range. I came back down the street again, feeling a little sorry that I didn't want the bag, but it was a colour that wouldn't quite match, and the quality was... well, on closer inspection, depending on the mood of the viewer, it could qualify for the previous description. I stopped, apologised, pointed out the flaw that, along with my doubt about the colour, prevented me from taking it even at his much reduced price, and listened to his sales pitch once more.

He did, however, have a well made bag that my frugal self could justify buying. It was exactly what I need when travelling, but far too expensive. He offered it to me as "a gift at under half price", probably it's true value in this region. I bought it. He didn't have the 5 euros change I required. He stuffed the bag I didn't want into my shopping bag, saying I could have it for 5 euros.

Does anyone want a handbag of indeterminate colour with a slight mark on the front of it? I wont even charge you 5 euros...

***

Odd but true.

A couple of weeks ago I phoned a friend in America. I was feeling a bit lonely, and knew that she would understand that I didn't want sympathy, just to chat to a good friend in a similar situation, particularly someone who knows this village and my language barriers here.

We chatted a while, and she offered to send me a book she was reading, one that she found encouraging and uplifting. I thanked her, then got busy painting and thought very little more about it.

Today there was a parcel in my letter box, with an Auckland, New Zealand postal ticket on it. A NZ friend had also said that she was sending a book to me, so no surprise. The surprise was the contents - the book, published in America, was the gift from my American friend and had come to me from New Zealand via amazon.com.

Some days I shake my head in wonder at this world!

***

PS The advertised price of indeterminately coloured handbag was 25 euros. He offered it to me at 15. I said no and walked away. He dropped it to ten. He gave it to me for five. I wonder what he paid for it?
.

No comments: