23 March 2009

spring feelings

Yesterday I bought a few clothes. As usual it amazed me how many things are different, yet how many are the same, in a very different shopping environment.

Here the high church attendance and the modesty of the people dictates a different range of clothing. Dresses are plentiful. Pretty, feminine, but definitely not "sexy" rules the buyers of clothing in the "Bible Belt" I am in.

Size is no problem. People are big in the state that claims the third highest obesity problem in the USA. I have choices of colour, style, and fabric. But best of all, the clothing has shape. The antipodean figure is catered for in a way it will never be in Europe. It is no wonder that curvy Kiwis in London need to send home for some items of clothing.

I am a professed "non-shopper", particularly for clothing. Here, however, I can shop without feeling my self esteem plummet with every garment I try. To be in a changing room with a choice, saying yes to some and no to others purely on appearance and fabric, is novel for me these days. I think the last time I had so much choice of well fitting clothing was when I shopped in Australia in 1999!

Credit card, take care! That delayed suitcase is a good excuse to spend...

Today I am grateful for
colourful spring clothing that fits my shape and my needs.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yay! It was so much fun shopping with you yesterday.
Your outfits are super cute and your figure looks amazing!