9 April 2009

criss-crossed skies

Today as we returned home from an early lunch the wide Alabama skies were criss-crossed with vapour trails. (Why do we talk about skies rather than sky? Is that a residual habit from singing "Deep in the Heart of Texas" repeatedly in my childhood?) It reminded me of how wide-spread my family is, but how easy communication and international travel can be.

We ate in an "Italian" restaurant - despite my best efforts to eat healthily at home this dining out culture is hard to counter... and so the scale counter goes up. Dining tip for the day: don't order an espresso and expect it to taste like espresso. I suspect that it was plunger coffee. The food was tasty though. I will soon need to locate the cafe that makes real coffee... the Red Door June was a craving quencher last August. My usual substitute, good old instant coffee, doesn't taste right in this water.

The weather now is glorious. Last night we forgot that I had sneakily turned the central heating down when I opened all the windows and I slumbered happily under the covers. I seem to need diurnal temperature variation as much as I need the seasons.

PS Friday... Heat purchased water in microwave, add instant coffee. Addiction provided for.

***

We are playing a waiting game here... grandson is taking his time! His mother arrived in rather speedy fashion, not waiting for the doctor or making it to the hospital delivery theatre. Just Dad, the matron and a very scared nurse aided her into the world. Fortunately she was baby number four and Dad was a veterinary surgeon, taking charge of the situation until the matron arrived. Her son is making up for it. Little Parker has already had us convinced that he is on his way only to have the last laugh and say "Just tricking, Nonna Kate".

Today I am grateful for medical checks that reassure us that everything is OK!

No comments: