1 May 2009

1 maggio

Today is a public holiday. It is the day of the worker. Zacchi is sitting contentedly outside while I turn into a domestic goddess (yeah right! I hear from the other side of the world)and put all thoughts of other work aside.

The television in the background talks about workers conditions and the world crisis. I listen, trying to learn and to test my language skills, but really Wikipedia tells me much more. In 1834 the British colonies abolished slavery. Sometimes I think that slavery simply has another name now.

The Penny Black was issued in 1840. Now with too many forgeries Italy has all but out-moded the adhesive postage stamp.

Although we have had far too much rain, too many floods and earthquakes, and spring has merely teased us, there is life and energy in the village again. The financial crisis is beginning to bite a little, but walking, talking and laughing is free.

Card playing... well, that can be free too. I have refreshed my memory and played scopa with the rascal, and learned a high risk version of the game when the winner isn't known until the last card is played. Mmmm... I think I need to look for the official rules, my little friend is pretty sharp!

I ran some errands the other day and was asked why I was in my car, and not on my bike. Good question. I must remedy that!

Today I am grateful for good friends and a large pot of tea.

No comments: