19 May 2009

the things one does...

This evening saw me crouched below the hand basin in the men's loo at the railway station, trying to connect up my hose to water the garden.

The fitting I bought last week was perfect for the tap in the garden that turned out to be dry. The smaller one I bought to fit the tap in the men's loo was too small for my hose. Noone had any suggestions of what I could do. I went to the nearby hardware store, asking for the connections I needed. Apparently they don't exist here. Joiners of different sizes? Nope. Something to tighten the hose onto the smaller fitting? Nope. Back to the station I trudged, a blister on my toe.

It had been a long day of ceremonies, with groups, and driving. I was hot, tired, and perhaps a little emotional. I had lugged my heavy 50 metre hose from the car to the tap... and no luck. I really did feel like sitting down on the footpath and crying. Perhaps it showed. A kindly railway worker offered to take me to see if there was anything that would help down in the shed at the end of the platform.

Ignoring all the advice a mother gives her daughters, I went to the shed and followed him in. At the bottom of the second tool box, just as I was beginning to think I should give up and go home, he found exactly what I needed to join the hose to the small fitting... but oh so rusty. However, with few squirts of spray and some surgery with the screw driver it was ready to attach to the tap!

Happiness is standing in the garden with the hose running, watering grateful plants, while everyone else scuttles away from the "rain" accompanying the thunderstorm.

Today I am grateful to the helpful railway worker who showed a little compassion towards a jaded Kiwi.

No comments: