25 July 2009

assemblage

Frustrated that I can't paint, yet still seem to be able to clean and clear for the guests arriving tonight, I have decided that thinking time is really painting time.

So, as I tidy and clean, every scrap of paper with notes to myself is going into the project box so that I can then assemble the ideas and make a list. And, as I do that, I am thinking, painting in my head. I used to do that as I drove between my schools, painted whole exhibitions in my head when I was an RTLB. The problem was, once they were so thoroughly painted and explored, I didn't ever need to bring them to fruition. Lost forever to the world...seen only by me. Sigh! Oh they were good... a bit like the fish that got away?

Lists, as you know, keep me going. When the boat I am floating in starts to take in water, I make a list. Metaphorically, it goes a little like this:
1. Stop the leak.
2. Bale out the water.
3. Wring out all the soggy towels.
4. Sit in the sun to dry wings.
5. Breathe deeply.
6. Look at the beauty in nature.
7. Smile.
8. Stand up.
9. Test the wings, gently.
10.Fly lightly, brightly, in glorious colour.

Now, at the end of the morning, all my scraps of paper with budding, bursting, exciting ideas will be in a box, never to escape again until unleashed in colour on 300gsm paper. In my Kiwi life they were all on notice boards, pinned around the bright, light studio along with samples, swatches, trial pieces, finished pieces... not gathering dust in bundles on ledges and shelves and in dusty plastic bags as the ancient walls breathe, watch, wait.

New List: Find cork tiles, buy them, make a cork board.
Order a custom-made art supply cupboard. (specifications known almost by heart).
Get working on own projects... VERY SOON (as in yesterday?)

Today I am grateful for scrappy pieces of paper reminding me of fun things I have yet to do.

No comments: