23 September 2009

heart over head

My feelings about living here have been affirmed by a book I purchased at Heathrow. I find that when I am out of Italy my homesickness limit is three weeks. When I lived in NZ the same thing applied: it didn't matter how much the holiday was looked forward to, after three weeks I always wanted to be heading for home. I guess I should be happy that I feel that way when I am away from here; it confirms that although the head might say I have taken huge risks in leaving home, work and family, my heart is happy here. The cautious part of me says "at least for now", but heck, why not just enjoy the feeling and say that "I am in the right place!"

While I was half playing with writing about this life an Australian journalist did it for me. (He learnt Italian faster too!) I have just read Head Over Heel, Seduced by Southern Italy (Chris Harrison, published 2009 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing, ISBN number 978-1-85788-521-7). I couldn't put it down. It describes my Italy to perfection. "Crris 'Arrison" captures so well the crazy ambivalence of living here. He describes with humour and compassion the frustrating things about Italy which also are the things that are the vehicles for the richness that we find here.

I looked at a review while writing this blog and challenge this reviewer, particularly on his final paragraph (Telegraph.co.uk). If you don't want a casual holiday novel, but do want well scripted social commentary, then DO read this book when in thinking rather than holiday mode. This is not a romantic novel for the beach, although it is a romantic story. It is an accurate snapshot of the Italy that I love. That reviewer Michael Williams sees it as an amusing but formulaic publication suggests that he has not lived any length of time in Southern Italy, or, if he has, he has seen it through different eyes. I think we may also have differing views on what constitutes writing a steamy sex scene. Chris Harrison sets the scene then leaves these entirely to the imagination... perhaps my research has been lacking a little!

After wandering around www.chrisharrisonwriting.com I am thinking Darn! Another blog to follow. When will I find time to paint? But... he has just saved me how many months/years of work, writing my story for me? Certo, I can read his blog, paint more realistic hours of the week, and maybe be brave enough to try my own luck with romance!

Today I am grateful for airport bookshops.

No comments: