28 September 2009

ramblings

This coaching blog reminds me of all the things I once knew and have long forgotten!

I didn't ever know the typefaces in detail like the encyclopaedic Brennen, but the rest of the theory and the terminology was once within my grasp.

Use it, or lose it.

One of my favourite posters (I am sure I have mentioned it before) is on the wall in a Waikato rest home. It shows a dog holding the leash waiting for its mistress to tie the laces on her walking shoes. The text says "If you feel old age catching up, walk a little faster".

Yesterday and today I wanted to run. Walk fast we surely did. I wonder if my memory cells might return one day too?

***

I share this building with several other people. The noises above me differ vastly, depending on which room I am in.

I used to wonder at the loud and sometimes violent arguments the elderly couple had. I kept to myself, not daring to intervene. When the husband died I got to know the wife a lot better. She was absolutely distraught, missing the arguments which were her energy source. It was their way of communicating. A year later, she too has gone. That isn't thunder you hear, it's just my former neighbours expressing their love for one another.

The young couple on the other side of the house never make a sound. I hear only footsteps, and chairs scraping back from the table.

Down below we may not talk much, the dogs and I, but we play our music loudly. Today I discovered that Pickle likes to sing; when I play the keyboard she takes a pose beside me and makes a gentle howling noise. Then she jumps up and licks my fingers in appreciation - that was appreciation, Pickle, right? Zacchi, on the other hand, just likes to bark...
.

No comments: