29 September 2009

mice will play

The boss was away today... OK, so I may have to do a two hour re-paint at my own expense, but I wanted to try my colour and style preference. I think the white column might have to go though, maybe I was wrong on that one. I thought that the design showing through suggested that the original faux 'whatever' had not been on the column. I suspect that a more elegant fresco was replaced with the faux I am fighting with now.

Before:
After:My theory is that when the beautiful rich red floor tiles are polished the yellow and umber is going to look absolutely ghastly against them. I have taken the greenish tint from the faux wood panel above, and the red from the floor tiles, as well as a little of the original yellow, and come up with a rather subdued effect that I hope will simply become background. The points of interest in the entry will be the iron light fittings and the stairwell, potted plants, and hopefully the original fresco high above.
The artist who probably painted the wall 70 years ago would have painted faux marble, not rocks, according to his grandson. I think the version I am working on is likely to be older than that. At least one heavy coating has been scraped off. No doubt it was damaged during its occupancy; I wonder, did those German or Kiwi soldiers living there 65 years ago turn the marble into rocks, just for something to do? (Not likely, as the Germans were there when it was the front, and the Kiwis were there to play guitars, dance with the locals, and enjoy their rest period). It is so frustrating, not having x-ray eyes or a time machine!

PS: I have reviewed these photos about an hour later, and I wonder if my marble "slabs" are too big. I might have to split a few tomorrow, unless of course I am repainting the whole section anyway!

Today I am grateful for
insect repellent.

No comments: