12 September 2009

no path... or on track?

Today I have to admit that I got a little off track (OK, so on a daily basis in some areas there is a path).

A blog I follow, that of Californian artist and on-line friend, Myrna Wacknov, reminded me of exactly why I wrote about my next project, and another two only marginally underway. Putting plans "out there" holds me accountable.

It is so easy to say that "life got in the way", and justify my delay. Yesterday there were so many excuses, all perfectly valid. Except for one thing. In going "off track" I am letting myself down. It was not that other things were more important (washing dishes, shopping for food, preparing the house for the insect spray... there are poisonous spiders in this area) but simply that domestic chores were easier options.

I love to paint... but when I am in my own space, with everything organised (who am I kidding?) I prefer to paint in a calm space with music playing (although I don't hear it after ten minutes), with no interruptions. But if I were disciplined I would paint anyway, anywhere, anytime.

If I could turn the clock back I would do exactly the same today as I did yesterday, but as I did those chores I would be seeing colours, reflecting on my composition, drawing tonal thumbnails in my head.

Today, whether I sketch or not, I will be back on track.

Today I am grateful for
accountability.

No comments: