30 September 2009

progress and agreement

You win some and you lose some...

The boss, while understandably surprised to see the panel I had painted, liked it and agreed in principle with me but prefers not to have me paint the panels in faux marble. There is a lot more wall upstairs, and that is in different colour-ways. We have reached a compromise, agreeing that the original, simpler design (which we have faint traces of) was superior to the yellow marble/rocks that I am objecting to.

So... the columns stand proudly, cleaned up, touched up, tall and elegant, becoming a feature rather than painted over in harsh colours again. The panels which I had begun are now going to be a much simpler design, a warm base colour with a hint of spongework over it to age and soften it so that it blends in.

I worked around the stairs this morning, and was very proud of my handiwork producing a wall that looks like stone. It was five coats of paint, the first a light terracotta colour, then four sponged colours over it, sanded lightly to age it. At first glance it looks like the stonework above it.

I've been a little bit naughty again. I now have to wait for some plaster repairs before I proceed with the undercoat. These I am sure are war-time wounds. There is a little one that wasn't pointed out to me as being on the list for repairs. I think it should stay, a tiny reminder of the history of the house. I painted over it, three times, hoping that the plasterer doesn't spot it tomorrow! It is down low by the stairs, and is sure to have a large plant in front of it...

Today I am grateful for consultation processes.

No comments: