18 October 2009

all about texture

Pasta is all about texture. It doesn't seem to matter how many different types you have lined up in canisters or packets along the shelves, chances are that the one you really want on any day is not there. Despite my efforts to keep life simple the range of pasta in my own kitchen continues to grow.

I am trying to learn the names of a few favourites, but they still all sound similar to me. There is some progress though; I can now stand at the supermarket shelf and imagine them cooked, visualising the appropriate sauce, vegetables or meat in each steaming bowl. I remember them better in translation: butterflies, little butterflies, big butterflies, snails, ears, little ears, shells, and yes, you can even buy alphabet pasta. I have yet to check which alphabet has been used, as the Italian alphabet does not have j, k, w, x or y. You can read the names of the letters of l'alfabeto italiano here.

I got on the scales this morning, not something I do very often. Pasta and pizza damage minimal. Chocolate and cheese... that's another story!

First fire for the season:I am looking forward to winter soups and healthy living.

Today I am grateful for sun-ripened tomatoes.

No comments: