24 October 2009

beautiful sunset

Back in the "good old days" we had autograph books where we wrote little rhymes and messages. I hope mine still exists somewhere, but I haven't seen it for far too many years. It came to mind because this evening we have a particularly spectacular autumn sunset. I was driving home from a huge funeral when I saw it, and then from my kitchen it simply intensified as though it was giving Mirella a fabulous farewell.

The whole town farewelled this 59 year old, taken far too soon. She had been at the local Wednesday market every week since she was a child, and, as I heard so many times today, never said a bad word about anybody, and was always ready with a smile and a quick retort. The main street was simply choked with cars. The band (which often leads a funeral cortege) blocked the road from one direction, the traffic in chaos completely choked it from the other direction. I too parked in the middle of the street blocking others in.

An Italian friend who travels frequently said once that he likes to visit schools and cemeteries, as you can tell a lot about a nation by the way it treats its young and its dead. I think I would add to that the nation's health care systems as well.

I have been to more funerals than celebratory events here. Friends go to the homes prior to the event, and all leave for the church in a procession. I don't usually do this, but today was driving a relative of the family. We parked at least a kilometre from the house, and as the house was at a crossroad I estimate that there were at least 5 kilometres of cars outside the home before leaving for the church. Outside the church were so many more.

Mourners filled the street, the people there in greater numbers than for any festive procession. Here many follow the hearse on foot, sometimes walking as far as 4 kilmetres from the church to the cemetery. Today the band led the way. Huge wreaths are mounted on a separate vehicle, this following directly behind the band.

Outside we talked as the service continued in the church. We all silently reviewed our own lives, and resolved to live more for today, and to seek a better balance of work and relaxation.

The quote from the autograph book that I remember quite often was this:
"May there be just enough clouds in your life to make a glorious sunset".


Today I am grateful for honest communication with good friends.

No comments: