22 October 2009

feels like friday

Home, tired, showered and clean. It feels like Friday. Couldn't I start the weekend early, please?

The stairwell is progressing, a little faster today. I finally found a way to get some light. I climbed up onto the scaffolding that is waiting for the workers who will clean before I paint, and I removed two panels. Instant light! I had been working in the shadow of the monster.

This afternoon the kiwi do-it.yourselfer came unstuck! I was up there again, moving the second lot of scaffolding, when the boss came in. I had made rather a lot of noise and sent a shower of rubble down the stairwell. Too dangerous, he says, for me to be up there dismantling it. I didn't confess to how I got light this morning. The good thing is, though, that a light has been found. It is a little harsh, creating brilliant glare in places and dark shadows in others, but it is portable and I can move it to where it serves me best.

The plan is to finish all but the inevitable touching up and retouching of the stairwell by tomorrow evening. Being an optimist will help!

This morning the storms hit us for a while. Water poured down from the mountain, making gushing rivers down the pretty little streets. I watched with huge relief as it travelled speedily on its way over my concrete, not lingering to soak down into the cantina. Whew!

Today I am grateful for a red raincoat and yellow umbrella.

No comments: