18 December 2009

the battle for the couch

Yes, I will write about art one day soon.

Zacchi knows well that he is not to sleep on the couch, and if caught he slinks outside without a word from me, looking as guilty as a muffin can look. Pickle, on the other hand, still pushes her luck. You would think that with snow on the hills not too far away the message would sink in faster... caught on the couch and out you go!

We had a little tussle the other day. I was on the couch, snuggled under a blanket, and Pickle was on her perch, the plastic box which doubles as pantry and sometime coffee table now padded with a mat. She seemed to think that my blanket was the better spot to be... how many times can you push a dog off before she gets the message?

Tonight I got up to make a milo; I couldn't sleep, and thought that the day's intake could extend to some winter comfort. Milo is a luxury to be used sparingly. I found Pickle asleep on the mat which was folded beside the couch, up on the pantry perch. This was all OK with me, she often sleeps there when I am in the kitchen. She opened one eye, tried to make herself invisible, and waited to be put outside.

Really Pickle, I know that you intended moving over onto the couch once I was properly asleep, but I don't usually punish BEFORE the crime!

Zacchi, on the other hand, has become the most obedient dog around, quite the educated, gentlemany role model. While Pickle and I tussled he sat upright on the mat near me, saying "Look mum, I'm being sooo good!" I am sure that despite being so well looked after when I am away a little bit of separation anxiety goes a long way in the discipline stakes!

Today I am grateful that Pickle is learning...

No comments: