13 January 2010

everything is relative

Suddenly, thinking of the damage caused by earthquakes in many parts of the world, life seems even more precious. I wonder, how many lives are lost unnecessarily because of shortcuts taken with building structures? If we don't get the basics right we endanger everything.

Yesterday I looked at a piece of furniture that I could use in my house. It was simple yet versatile, but a little expensive so I didn't buy it. I would have enjoyed using it but, really, it is not so important. Far better, I think, to recycle, make do, and value the necessities of life rather than get back onto the path of wanting things of a quality that I don't really need. Instead the money will go into the cement for the floor, the fence for the dogs, the basic essentials for health and safety.

Where I am working I am adding the decoration. This structure, although damaged by earthquakes, abandoned and exposed to the weather, has survived for 500 years. Somebody got the basics right.

In the face of tragedy it is important that people's homes are restored before their businesses. We need our personal spaces to be safe and secure so we can face the challenges outside. Safe and secure does not mean full of precious objects and beautiful furniture. A warm fire, hot food, and good company is all that anyone needs.

*******
Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.
-Buddha

Today I am grateful for music and laughter.

No comments: