20 January 2010

feeling a tad provocative

relax, I'm not becoming a sexy Italian, just playing with words.

I read a post on one of my favourite artist blogs and decided to enter the conversation from a different perspective.
uh hem. Clears throat. Deep breath.

What IS a successful painting?

According to my very addled brain there are paintings we like, and paintings that we don't like. There are paintings that conform to accepted painterly conventions, and those that don't. There are paintings that achieve what we set out to achieve, and paintings that don't.

BUT.

There are paintings that break all the "rulz" yet still touch a nerve, stir a heart, pierce into that thing we call emotion.

I wonder, what is this thing we call "success"
?

I am sure that I will be challenged when Mike next checks his blog! (She chuckles at her computer, it was time for some fun!)

No comments: