20 January 2010

numbers

I have a free counter on my website. I hardly ever check it, think about it, or even go to my own website. But in light of recent publicity I thought I had better see just how out of date the site was, put more recent work onto it and (OOPS) do something about removing the remaining "Website under construction, please visit again soon" that slipped through unnoticed and has been there for five years! I noticed that I had had the counter there for nearly a year. About 15 minutes ago it ticked over the year. (And no, I haven't updated the site yet - I can't remember how to!)

In the past year there have been 1234 individual hits and 2193 reloads, making a total of 3427 visits to my website. Thankyou, my unknown, unidentified and untracked visitors, whoever you are, for taking time to drop by!

Occasionally I google my own name, or those of family members, just to see what is out there in cyberspace. Seeing how easy it was to pop into Facebook and see my friends, photographs and other information about me had me scurrying to put my page into English for ten minutes, change a few things I thought I had already changed, and become a little more of a recluse.

I like the fact that the world is shrinking, that we can work small miracles at the click of a button, that we can raise funds, organise events, share blogs and visit websites. But I like to have some control over what is available about me and what photos are accessible to people I haven't met. I read somewhere that what other people think about us is none of our business. I'm still pondering that one. Whether that is true or not, I would still like to choose what is public and what is private in my life.

Delightful happening today? Zacchi, once allowed back inside (door through to wet concrete safely shut), danced on his hind legs as I have never seen him dance before, so happy to be with me but knowing that muddy paws were not welcome on my black jeans. Oh for a video to share, but he is afraid of cameras since I used a flash for a photo.

Today I am grateful for
the pink of the sunset on snow-capped Monte Cairo.

No comments: