18 February 2010

things i had forgotten

"... things I had fogotten, but they're still there" said my 89 year old dad tonight. It takes two to remember. Recently my dad and his brother were reminiscing about their time in Italy during the war. Each prompted the other to recall things they had forgotten.

Occasionally I need help from a sister or an old school friend to recall things that I have forgotten. Old times, school days, places and memories that noone in my current environment experienced. Now, in a new country, I don't look back too often. I wonder if that is contributing to the change in my art work? So much of my previous work was about memory.

Many Italians express surprise that I am living here rather than near Florence. In fact, I seldom go to the museums in Italy, unless there is a particular exhibition I want to see. I find the old masters too restricting, stifling me, demanding that I conform to Renaissance style.

Yesterday, however, I worked on the copy of the Raffaello. Now there is a master worth looking at! If you are going to visit the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican, don't rush; in my opinion the best works are in the Raphael Rooms, just before you get to the Sistine Chapel.

Today I am grateful for Skype communications.

No comments: