1 October 2010

i guess it had to happen...

Today the scaffolding was not particularly secure, safe but wobbly, with difficult access. I took extra care, and managed most of my work without incident although I did hurt the problem knee again. When I am up on wobbly scaffolding, or reaching out without something to hold on to, I marvel at how much we use toes to balance. I think I am pretty proud of myself and what I have achieved up on those planks, but...

I guess it had to happen. I have been working in the building for over a year, and today I had my first fall. I was working on a small ladder, got my shoe caught when coming down I think, and half fell, ladder and paint as well, onto the marble stairs. Luckily it was less than a metre and I am well enough padded to expect only a few bruises. There wasn't much paint, it was my palette not the paint pot, so that was lucky. So no harm done really, but for now I am feeling a little sorry for myself.

The good news is that the work is really really truly almost finished. Yes, of course, there is more that needs doing after other workers have done their bit, but the patch of daylight gets bigger and bigger.

Today I am grateful for my good wide feet and monkey toes.

2 comments:

Nicola said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've seen you take some doozy bruises (remember the goat?) so I know you're tough but I hope you're not too bashed up. xxx

Kay said...

I'm OK, I have some ointment that was suggested, but the chemist told me that going in the sun is out for two weeks using this stuff! What on earth is in it??? !!!!
These wont be as good as the bruises I got here almost four years ago, marble steps with sharp edges that time!
Just as well I'm tough, but I admit I am glad that it is weekend! Teaching English is much safer work :-)