30 October 2010

picking olives

After two seasons of the olive pickers not returning to do the pruning that was part of the deal, I decided that this year as I have to do most of the work then I would also have all the oil. I still wanted some pickers though, as the work has to happen over just a few days. The Kiwi pickers let me down, the Italian pickers let me down. Back to being independent again.

This morning, with my Venezuelan friend to advise me, I went shopping... and am now the proud owner of a large amount of net and the rakes to pick olives, should anyone arrive to help. (I prefer to use my bare hands, not the rakes, and the first year I picked into buckets over old sheets). Now to decide where to cut the net - I have two 8 x 6 metre nets, and am putting them one either side of three trees. It is usual to put one net around one tree, and have a split for the trunk. Maybe I should have gone for 3 nets at 6 metres, although I enjoy hauling the nets in and watching the catch run along the folds and gather; I think a fisherman probably enjoys that sensation even more.

I aimed to pick one tree this afternoon just to convince myself that I could still be independent, then have a bigger day tomorrow. But... out in the sun, up the trees, listening to the sound of chatter all along the hillside as others were picking their olives, it was a lovely space to be in. I convinced myself that with a bit of effort I could pick the whole crop myself. I am not pruning as I go though, that can wait for a serious prune in April (when any unsuspecting guests might be roped in to help).

Luckily for my hands and back though, my usual labourer arrived to help. He came just when I was thinking that I had had enough for the day, so I kept on picking. Progress was much faster with two of us. I learnt today that his nickname since he was about 14 is "Number One" (yes, in English with an Italian accent). I am not surprised.

Three trees done, and being the ones that get the most water they were probably the three with the most on. Only 27 to go...

Daylight saving ends tonight, putting us back to 12 hours apart from NZ again (I think...)

Today I am grateful for people who don't mind working hard.

1 comment:

Teacake said...

Awwww harvesting olives in an Italian autumn... nice life!