1 December 2010

just occasionally

Just occasionally I treat myself to some time reading in English. No big deal? Well, these days it is to me. My struggle to learn Italian is not helped by reading and thinking in English, but often the frustrations of not exercising other parts of my brain is too much and I need to explore themes in depth, in English.

Saturday and Sunday I read a novel, thought provoking, ideologically challenging, historically interesting, and as a novel with a simple yet complicated plot, most satisfying. The novel is Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant. This is the second novel I have read this year that has a deceptively simple story-line. The complexity and satisfaction is in the detail, the accuracy and depth of research, and the richness and flair of description. The other, of course, was The Burning Mountain by L J Adlington, a novel for teenagers based on the eruptions of Mount Vesuvious and the WWII battle of Cassino.

Today, in my quest to find something completely different via Google, I stumbled upon more interesting reading. This time it is New Zealand authors on New Zealand themes. I have been accused of deserting New Zealand, of not caring. "Not true", I cry, it is simply that for now I need to be elsewhere. If I really had deserted New Zealand I wouldn't have been excited when I found this page of writings by prominent New Zealanders all caring enough about New Zealand to write their visions for us all to read.

Today I am grateful for stimulating articles and books to read in English.

No comments: