17 August 2011

just for me


to get that distance I can't get in my beautiful but smallish studio.

yesterday (again) in evening light, colours fairly accuratetoday after an hour and a bit photographed in mid day light but with olive trees much bluer than yesterday
The little village is blocked in, but no details in yet. I have worked on the olive trees and shadows, and put in the structure for the foreground. What I am really wanting to do is work up the details of the ruins so you can imagine walking through them, but that has to be left until last. First I must put the palette in the fridge, (stops oils from drying out, they are ok under gladwrap in the freezer for longer periods too), lunch, then back to adjust the tonal values that are showing up here.

Later: procrastinating. It's hot!


*****

When I trained to be an art therapist I learned how holding the paper upright and at a distance from the client gave an objectivity not achieved if the client held the paper or kept it in the position it was worked on. The same thing works for me with painting. Taking the work into the computer gives me an objectivity I can't achieve in the studio. The brain is a strange and wonderful thing... even when slightly cooked or over-worked!

Today I am grateful for computers.

No comments: