18 September 2011

and still we burn... closer and closer

Click on photo for bigger image.
 

 

 

 

 

 

We are already brown and grey out one side of the village, that fire was really close and went through the ruins and lapped at the village (view from my studio in third photo above). Now it burns on the southern side. Last night and today despite endless helicopter trips and the foam plane it continues to burn. It's still not as close as the first fire, but is getting closer all the time. The helicopters are draining a local lake; the swimming pools they usually use will be well empty. Some come over from the coast as well.

This morning I went to Monte Camino (south of Cassino, I live north of Cassino) to meet with a Kiwi and British veterans, and yes, there in the mountains were helicopters and smoke.

Today I am grateful for firefighters.

3 comments:

Kay said...

PS For those of you who read the comments on this blog, photos 1, 2 & 4 show the hilltop church and the ruins on the higher peak where Jackerd has promised to go while we are still living; he doesn't want to organise my funeral up there when he is old... (Extreme left above the roof in first photo, then zoomed in on second photo). I can just see it from my studio. The view from up there is awesome! I think we'll wait till it's a bit cooler...

(@ J: Do you think we will get C along too, or is that like getting you travelling on two wheels? Maybe he would come on his motorbike?)

Jackerd said...

No, no. I never said i not want to organise your funeral over there "when I'm old". I just not gonna organise your funeral there.

I'm quite sure Mr. C is coming too

Kay said...

:-)